- 2 Tbsps organic avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes (1 butternut squash)
- 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 peeled and cubed organic apples
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped (can use roasted garlic for more flavor)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups organic chicken broth or homemade bone broth
- Sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium-low heat.
- Sautée onion, squash, apples for about 5 minutes without browning, just to soften the squash.
- Reduce heat add the spices, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour in the the broth, cover pot. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a hand held immersion blender to purée the soup.
Note: To get the right creamy consistency, you can add a little more broth if the mixture is too thick (this will depend on the size of butternut squash you used), or if you have no dairy allergies, the other option is to add 1 cup of cream.
I like to drizzle some pumpkin oil or a balsamic glaze on top to form a design and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds and/or Hemp heart seeds for presentation.